Effective Date: [February 14, 2024]
The Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology ("CSEP") is committed to protecting the privacy of our Users and adhering to the highest standards of data protection across Canada. This Policy outlines our practices for collecting, using, sharing, disclosing, and protecting Personal Information.
In this policy,
- "CSEP Platforms" includes the corporate website (csep.ca and scpe.ca), the CSEP Store (store.csep.ca and magasin.scpe.ca), the CSEP Guidelines website (csepguidelines.ca and directivesscpe.ca), and any other site used by CSEP to interact with users (including those used for conference registration, form/survey submission, and online member voting);
- "Marketing communications" may include email newsletters, mail campaigns, and website ads, but does not include communication that is directly related to a user's account, order, or membership.
- "Member" refers to individuals who have purchased or obtained a membership with CSEP in accordance with the CSEP Bylaws, and may include individuals whose membership has lapsed within the last three years;
- "Personal information" may include names, addresses, device information (web browser, IP address), order information (name, billing address, payment information, email address, and phone number), and other information voluntarily supplied by the user. This information may be collected from the user either passively (e.g., ip address) or voluntarily supplied by the user (e.g., submitting an order);
- "Third-Party Entity" refers to a corporation, organization, institution, or individual—other than CSEP—with whom certain Personal Information is shared according to the terms of this Policy.
- "Transaction" includes purchases, transactions for free products, form and survey submissions, communication sent by the User directly to CSEP via email, phone, postal mail, etc.;
- "User" includes visitors to CSEP Websites, Members, applicants and candidates for membership, and customers who create a profile, submit a form or survey, or make a purchase (including $0 purchases) on a CSEP Website;
Consent for Personal Information Use and Disclosure:
- Where possible, CSEP will seek explicit, informed consent from Users to send them Marketing communications.
- CSEP will always seek explicit, informed consent from Users (primarily Members) to share their personal information with Third-Party Entities for commercial solicitation purposes (e.g., for a company to reach out directly to Members to promote special offers).
- Users have the right to withdraw this consent at any time and opt out of information sharing.
Collection and Use of Personal Information:
- Personal Information is used to fulfill Transactions, communicate with Users, screen for risk or fraud, and optimize CSEP Websites and services.
- Cookies, log files, web beacons, tags, and pixels may be used to gather device information.
Sharing Your Personal Information:
- The Personal Information displayed in the public Member Directory (https://csep.ca/directory) is limited to what is explicitly authorized by the Member to be disclosed when the Member submits the Member Directory form. A Member can customize what information appears in their Directory profile at any time.
- When a User submits a Transaction relating to a product or service that is delivered by a Third-Party Entity (such as registering for an online learning module hosted by Performance Nutrition Academy), the necessary information about the User is shared with that Entity in order to process your transaction.
- All other User information is kept confidential, and is only shared with other companies or organizations for the purpose of processing information, with the expectation that those companies will also keep this information private (for example, the CSEP Store uses the Shopify platform, so user information must be shared with Shopify to store and process that data)
- Personal Information may be shared with Third-Party Entities like Shopify and Google Analytics to enhance our service offerings and to process Transactions.
- Information may also be shared to comply with legal obligations or to protect our rights.
- Users have rights to access, correct, or update their personal information held by us.
- For European residents, note that information processing aligns with contracts or legitimate business interests, and data may be transferred outside Europe, including to Canada and the United States.
- Personal Information will be maintained in our records unless and until a user requests its deletion. Some information, such information relating to financial transactions, must be retained for a period of time for legal, regulatory, and/or accounting purposes.
Changes to the Policy:
For more information about our privacy practices, questions, or complaints, please contact us via email at email@example.com or by mail at:
Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
℅ House of Sport
2451 Riverside Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada